Thursday, October 11, 2007

OpenDNS- A faster, safer, smarter DNS service.


The other day one of my online friends had made the remark “OpenDNS is pawnage”. I asked what was it and they said to Google it. So I did just that. What I found was amazing.

OpenDNS (www.opendns.com) is a free alternative DNS (Domain Name System) that has features such as auto correcting misspelled URLs, automatic blocking of malicious and pinching sites (Sites that pretend to be another but really harm your computer), url shortcuts, and a few other features. It is very easy to set up with the step-by-step guide that will get you connected to the service in just minuets. They even provide you with a site that you can use to make sure everything is setup right. If it is, you'll see a message that reads “Congratulations! Your internet is now faster, safer and smarter! Why not demo the feature by trying the links bellow?” The first link was to a fake site that demoed a pinching site. Sure enough, when I clicked on the link, I got the following “OpenDNS has found that the site you tried to navigate to is pinching and for that reason has been automatically blocked.” Next to try was auto correct. I purposely added an extra “o” to www.google.com and also left out the “o” in .com. No matter, OpenDNS automatically corrected my mistake and I was taken to www.google.com

OpenDNS has many more features to try and I'd recommend checking it out wether you are a home user, office user or IT professional. OpenDNS receives 5 out 5 stars.

No comments: