Thursday, October 11, 2007

NeoOffice Impress- What's so impressive about it?


I'm the kind of guys who likes doing big, sometimes fancy, presentations. As I don't have Microsoft Office on my Mac, I've been looking at Open-Source (free) alternatives. After browsing the Apple Download site I found a program called NeoOffice that is based off of OpenOffice and only for Mac. Once installed, I decided to play around with Impress, the alternative to Microsoft PowerPoint. I found nothing impressive about it.

I found Impress to be slow for just about everything. Entering text, doing formatting, saving, I didn't dare try animations. In addition, it crashed a lot on me. One of the main causes was inserting apparently too many pictures, which was only 3. Another thing that bugged me was that even with “preview” selected, the only way to try animations was by playing the presentation.

So in the end, I really didn't get to experiment with it too much as it would just close for no reason. There was nothing impressive about this program at all. I'd give it one star out of five.


Disclaimer: This test was done on a PowerMac G4 running OS X 10.3.9, Panther with 1.25 gigs of RAM and a 733 MHz processor speed, which might have caused the results noted to be seen.

No comments: